Pages

google analytics

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Timothy – or Current Occupant

    I found the letter in my mailbox when I got home from work, addressed to “Timothy – Or Current Occupant,” so, as the current occupant of this address, I opened the envelope and read it.

    “Dear Friend and True Child of Mine in the Faith. Grace, and Mercy, and Peace from God to you.

    “You hold in your hands a way to change your life. For the good! Are you willing? Are you interested?

    “First you must ask yourself this question: How do we get rich? Blessed in the city and in the country? Richer going in and richer coming out with enemies fleeing in seven directions?

    “It’s true of course, that religion does bring some profit. Godliness with contentment is gain, as they say – but only for those who are content with what they have. Food and clothes are enough for some, but they haven’t received this unique invitation.

    “And the love of money, yes? The love of money is the root of many kinds of evil. Not money itself. You know this. I know you do.

    “People like you, who want to be rich, must be aware of the trials they will face, the traps of foolish ambition that await them. For some, a relative few really, have wandered away from the faith, piercing themselves with sorrow.

    “But you, you are…”

    I stopped reading there. I’d read enough. I wadded up the letter and threw it away.


1 Timothy 6:6-10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails