Pages

google analytics

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Snow Day


Because I was slated to host a live radio broadcast from our building this morning, I was up at the ungodly hour of 5AM.  It wouldn't take very much to convince me that God is sleeping (like the rest of us should be) at 5AM.  It's a mornful, despicable hour.  It was still dark and the wind was howling outside.  We were knee deep in a blizzard.  And I do mean knee deep.  The snow drift in the driveway was up to my knees, and higher in some places.  There was no way I was going to get the van down the driveway to the roads (which hadn't been plowed yet, either).

So I called the radio station to tell them that I would not be able to make it to the program.  Neither could they, as it turned out.  And then I went back to bed for a while.  Nice.

Later in the afternoon I went out with the snowblower to clear off the driveway.  That John Deere snowblower in the garage is a beast - the snow beast, I call it - but it cleared the driveway without a problem.  It threw the snow into the air, where the still blowing winds carried it into the neighbor's driveway. The kids and the dogs played in the yard, tromping around in the snow.  Emma and Dune dug out a snow-fort in the backyard where the drifts are at least 5 feet high.

Mikey spent the afternoon baking: cookies, chex-mix, etc...  She wouldn't let me eat too many of the cookies.  They're for the volunteers who wil help with the food and toy distribution.   I did sneak a few of them when she wasn't looking.  Good cookies.

If you have to have a snow day, that's the way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails