Pages

google analytics

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"Why?" With Incredulous Disgust

On a couple of occasions in the recent past couple of weeks, I have made conversation about my reading of books by and about L. Ron Hubbard, and in these conversations one question has come up repeatedly.

WHY?

And each time it's been asked, it's been with a look of incredulous disgust.  As if the person to whom I was speaking was horrified that I would be interested in such a strange topic.  It's a fair question, I suppose, but I don't understand the revulsion.  But I'll ignore it for now, and I'll try to answer the question.

Why?  Because I want to understand. 
It really is that simple.

Several years ago someone said of me that "he wants to know everything about everything."  It was intended as scorn, as an insult.  But I wasn't really insulted because it's true - or, at least, nearly true.  I want to understand everything about everything.  (I don't ask for much, do I?)

So now I'm reading about L. Ron and his Scientology.  Why?  Because I want to understand this other religion.  I want to understand the nature of cults.  I want to understand con-men and how they lure people into their snares.   I want to understand the human condition.

That's why.  Should that be disgusting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails