Pages

google analytics

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Like a Bird…


I am like a pelican in the wilderness
vomiting undigested shellfish
 into lonely desert sand.

I am the raven of the empty house,
the owl of the wasted place.
A forbidden kestrel that flies by your wisdom,
I turn my wings for the far distant south.

I am awake, a bird on the roof,
terrified like the sparrow that flies away,

I slip. I fall from the wire
like a quail dropped through the door of heaven
to feed the miserable mob.

I am like a peacock with goodly wings
eating ashes in the evening shadows,
like an ostrich with forgotten eggs.

I am like the kite and her kinds,
like the stork, the heron, the hoopoe,
teeming with life but unfit to eat.


(See Psalm 102, Job 39, and Deuteronomy 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails