Pages

google analytics

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Hate Wins (At Least in the Short-Term)


I am, you will know, disappointed by the results of yesterday’s election. Disappointed, not because Hilary Clinton lost – I had not pinned my hopes on her or the Democratic Party. Do not put your trust in princes, in human beings, who cannot save.” (Psalm 146: 3) But disappointed because Donald Trump won. And while I don’t believe he will be an apocalyptically bad president, I have no confidence that he will be a good one.

This election has shown me that Hate wins – at least in the short term. I say that for at least two reasons that I can describe.

1- Conservative and Evangelical voters hated Clinton enough that they could stomach voting for Trump. Many of them held their noses and voted for him, not because they want him as our president, but because they hate Clinton and the establishment and elite that she represents in their minds. Hate won.

and

2 – I know that not every conservative and Evangelical voter is racist, misogynistic, and xenophobic – but their endorsement of Trump has legitimized the hatred of those groups like the KKK that also supported Trump. His victory is their victory. Hate won.

But I am not hopeless (trying, anyway). Hate may win in the short term. But I believe in Love. And I believe in Justice. And I still believe in Hope and Change (with or without the help of political parties.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails