Pages

google analytics

Friday, May 3, 2013

This Book Is Not To Be Doubted



I have a copy of the Koran. I read from it every now and again.   But I struggle with the Koran, right from the start.  The very first lines of the second sura (chapter) stop me cold.

This Book is not to be doubted.  It is a guide for the righteous, who believe in the unseen and are steadfast in prayer; …and have absolute faith in the life to come.  These are rightly guided by their Lord; these shall surely triumph.

As for the unbelievers, it is the same whether or not you forewarn them; they will not have faith.  God has set a seal upon their hearts and ears; their sight is dimmed and grievous punishment awaits them.   Al-Baqarah 2: 2 – 7

But there are Christians who read the bible this way too.  They demand that it be read without doubt and threaten eternal punishment for those who question its supposed inerrancy.   They stop me cold too.

I appreciate that I can read the scriptures of the Old and New Testament with a measure of doubt to better inspire my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails