Pages

google analytics

Friday, October 4, 2013

Friends like These


I posted a couple of provocative pieces yesterday: one criticizing those members of Congress who are holding the government (or at least a portion of it) hostage with this shutdown, and one that turned the Genesis story of the creation of Adam and Eve on its head.  I didn’t write either one with the intent of instigating a round of inflammatory discussions.  I write what I write to be challenging, yes, but not offensive. 

I’m pretty sure that as a result of those articles I have been “unfriended” by a couple of people on FB.  I’ll concede that not everyone shares my opinions and values.  That’s okay.  I don’t agree with all of them all of the time either.  I’ll admit that some of my posts are intentionally provocative.   I’m not hurt.  I don’t feel wounded by this, but it does strike me as a strange reaction. 

And this is why I value people like my friend John S.

John and I don’t agree on much.  And he is, on many occasions, quick to point out what he believes to be flaws in my thinking.  But he has never been discourteous.  He has never been dismissive; and, to this point, he hasn’t “unfriended” me.  The world would be a better place if more people were like him - like him, but shared my opinions, of course…



(John was also polite enough to point out some of my typos in this post before I made it public…)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails