Pages

google analytics

Friday, September 12, 2014

Anomalies A – Z: The Destroyer


“For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD.”
Exodus 12: 12


I am awakened by the sound of the city screaming,
startled from my bed into a tangle of sheets on the floor.
Sirens are blaring, the building shakes -
an explosion somewhere near.

When I finally find my feet I rush to the window
and look out on the city burning.
It is hell, nor am I out of it.

And then I see you in an apophatic sort of vision,
seeing only the places where you haven’t yet passed.
My vision blurs and darkens, but I will not faint.

I am determined to stare into that void.
I will see your face!

But resolve alone is no strength against you.
Your sword, if it is a sword, cuts through another city block.
Sparks fly upward as power-lines
and humans lives are cut down.

“Enough!” I shout, “Stay your hand!
Enough, enough!”

And through the oily, lolling smoke
I see your face
and it is the face of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails