Pages

google analytics

Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Servant's Hymn (A New Hymn for Epiphany 2A)


It's been a while since I last put my hand to writing a new hymn (or at least, new words for an old hymn tune).  Too long. So I'm back at it again. Here is a new hymn - A Servant's Hymn - based on two of the texts for Epiphany 2A: Isaiah 49: 1 - 4 and Psalm 40: 1 - 3.  It's sung to the hymn tune Titchfield composed by John Richardson (1853).

A Servant’s Hymn

I am Yahweh’s sharpened sword,
in the shadow of his hand;
like an arrow for my Lord,
sent to serve him in this land.
But my work is all in vain,
spent my strength with nothing gained;
yet my cause is with the Lord,
I will be at his command.

As I waited patiently
he turned to me, heard my cry,
and he came to rescue me
from the pit of mud and slime.
Then he made my feet secure,
gave me a song that will endure;
now the world my Lord will see
and on him they will rely.




In this arrangement there is a 4 bar introduction, then the melody is played through 3 times.  Feel free to use it as your own if you like it. You can download it here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails