google analytics

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Good Words...That's where Hope Begins

... I prefer strangling and death, 
rather than this body of mine.
Job 7: 15 

"How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life."
 Captain Kirk in Star Trek II

David Marcus: You were smart enough to tell Saavik that how we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life.
Kirk: Just words…
David Marcus: But good words. That’s where ideas begin.
Star Trek II

Where No One Has Gone Before photo Wherenoonehasgonebefore_zps81615175.jpg

On Thursday I received a phone call telling me that a friend of mine had either tried to, or threatened to commit suicide.  I had only just returned home from Omaha, Nebraska after four days of meetings, but I immediately threw a few more clean shirts and underwear into my bag and drove another five hours to visit him in the hospital.

One thing that I try to remind myself of when visiting with someone in crisis situations like this is that Job's friends were great friends for the first seven days - until they opened their mouths.

So far I haven't said much.  I've tried to listen without offering advice (especially that kind of noxious advice that well meaning Christians proffer: You just need to trust God... You just need to pray...)   But he and I (and another of our friends that is here) are fans of Star Trek so these words have come to mind.  Like Kirk, I'm not sure I always believe them.  And I worry that to my friend in crisis they will sound like "just words..."

But that's where ideas begin.  It might be where hope begins...


For those who might be curious about such things - the picture above is my own work.  It was created from a photograph of an Enterprise model that my other friend (the non-crisis friend) put together, as well as a photo of a lace curtain and a photo some red onions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The views, comments, statements and opinions expressed on this Web site do not necessarily represent the official position of The Salvation Army.


Related Posts with Thumbnails