Pages

google analytics

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

We can only See the Past




We can only see the past.

The table where I’m sitting, the books open in front of me – I see these things only as they existed in the past, as they existed in that brief space of time (however minute) that it took for photons of light to bounce from their surface to my eyes, and then to be translated into electrical signals by the optic nerves, transmitted to the brain and interpreted as a table and books.

We can see only the past. There is no present. There is no now.

And there can be no vision of the future (except in imagination and revelation). No matter how fast those photons are travelling, I can’t see them before they arrive.

We can see only the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails