Pages

google analytics

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sunlight Waiting


When his friends heard about all the troubles that had come upon him they set out from their homes and met together by agreement to go and sympathize with him and comfort him.  When they saw him from a distance they could hardly recognize him, they began to weep aloud, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads.  Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights.  No one said a word to him, because they saw how great his suffering was. 
-Job 2: 11 - 13


I came not to speak,
but to sit,
not to advise, but to listen.
Once I had spoken
but now I cover my mouth.

And what could I say, anyway?
I couldn't lie;
life is hard,
and I think I could understand
if you felt like you just couldn't go on.

But, whether locked psych ward or dung heap
I will sit with you, and there will still be sunlight waiting on the hillside.


-for J. and B. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails