Pages

google analytics

Thursday, May 2, 2013

She Came and Comforted Me


I was in 6th grade when I had a flash of prepubescent theological insight.  My family had just moved – again - this time to Bloomington, Indiana.  Making friends wasn’t something I did quickly (and still don’t ), so I felt very much alone in a new town, in a new school, surrounded by kids that seemed to be trying very hard to be teenagers, while I still wanted to play with my G.I. Joe action figures.

This flash of understanding came to me in music class at Fairview Elementary school where  Mrs. M. played the piano to accompany our singing– I remember how her fingernails click clacked on the piano keys as she played (so very different from my mom, who played the piano, but kept her nails short…)  In this particular music class we were singing James Taylor’s song “You’ve Got a Friend.”

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend.

And in that song I discovered the Paraclete – at least as much of that Holy Spirit as a lonely 11 year old can understand.  She came and comforted me.  She is the one called alongside...

But the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  John 14: 16 - 27


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails