Pages

google analytics

Friday, May 15, 2015

Dandelion Root (not quite) Coffee

Photograph A Yard Full of Lion's Teeth by Jeff Carter on 500px
Dandelions are really quite versatile; the leaves can be eaten in salads, the plant can be brewed into dandelion wine, the stalks can be used to make rubber. And, as I've recently learned, a sort of coffee substitute can be made from Dandelion roots - rather like chicory, but with that weed that grows in everyone's yard.

I went out in the yard (and it should be noted, by the way, that the yard in this photo is not my yard...) and dug up the roots of what dandelions I found there.  I washed, chopped, roasted and ground them, and prepared to try something new.

The results are mixed.  I'm not entirely pleased. There is an interesting flavor here, but it's lost under a layer of bitterness. I'd add sugar, but I'm not sure that would be able to mask it.  I'm going to dig around a bit and see if I can't find out how to improve, and perhaps I'll try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails