These are the visions of Iddo the Seer in the first year of King Jeroboam, son of Nebat.1
When the sound of the fire died down and the desert wind, full of grit, laid low, I was found naked, more than naked, outside the walls of the city. I climbed the foundation of the walls and looked about the city. I saw the house reduced to scattered stones.
I was assaulted by terror and unable to stand. I climbed out the window and stood on the sand.
I saw stones stripped and laid bare in blind circles. It was the house of the dead, flying the banners of corpses.
Men cowered behind the wall. Forced through barricades into darkened corners. The city was a great inhabitation of despair. And I was afraid to scream.
Strange visions in my head during the night. Visions and a voice that said, “You must not speak of yesterday.”
I saw beasts and stars and horns and slaughtered children in the rubbled remains of an open air prison. A shadow army. A whisper militia now screaming for the whole world to hear.
I saw lightning and all the shekinah glory legends, all eyes and fire in the storm hovering over my bed. I saw burning olive trees beyond the walls and checkpoints. I dreamt of burning human bones ritually defiling the land. I dreamt of fish and cucumbers, leeks, onion, garlic, and watermelons rotting.
The voice said again, “You must not speak of yesterday.” I sat long in silence listening. Waiting for another word.
I saw hellfire fall from the sky to burn families fleeing in the dark. I saw the earth crack open to devour and drag them down. And the voice said again, “You must not speak of yesterday.”
And I knew it was not the voice of HaShem. And all I could do was scream into the sound of the fire.
2 Chronicles 9:29
1 922 BCE approximately. Scholars continue to debate.


No comments:
Post a Comment